• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 25, 2021

    EU4 I just came back to reddit, are campaign maps still popular?

    EU4 I just came back to reddit, are campaign maps still popular?


    I just came back to reddit, are campaign maps still popular?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 05:55 AM PDT

    Youtuber talks about Russian History, uses EU4 AAR map to talk about Golden Horde

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 06:39 PM PDT

    To celebrate 200 years of Greek independence I wanted to share my Core-fu into It's All Greek To Me run from last year

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 03:23 AM PDT

    As Wales, I first PU'd and then inherited Burgundy in the span of a couple of months

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 04:43 AM PDT

    Conquer a province in the Americas speedrun (February 1448)

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 08:39 PM PDT

    Thanks Paradox

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 09:05 AM PDT

    What are they gonna do with all that free space?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 03:33 PM PDT

    My Serene Republic seems slightly undemocratic?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 05:55 AM PDT

    It should be a crime how much I'm allowed to take.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 03:23 PM PDT

    A Blessed Europe - A releasable nation vassal for every culture group

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 07:11 PM PDT

    Today I learnt that AE has an upper limit

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 05:59 AM PDT

    Trapping 3/4 of the Mamluk army on Hungarian Naxos LMAO!

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 10:09 AM PDT

    Blocking the Suez Canal

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 07:12 AM PDT

    An Unorthodox Byzantium Start

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 09:06 PM PDT

    415 days...

    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 06:38 PM PDT

    Time to restart:/

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 11:03 AM PDT

    Luckiest start to an England game I've ever had

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 12:28 AM PDT

    TIL that some AI doesn't like border gore.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 09:22 AM PDT

    Preventing decline of the spice trade.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 02:19 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I think I've found something interesting, don't know if everyone is aware of this already.

    Currently playing as Netherlands, a great run, now it's 1660 and spices still have their highest price. The reason is, I am the only european who controls spice provinces in Asia (even kicked Portugal out of Goa). Since price dropping event requires two european nations controlling at least three spice provinces each, it simply does not trigger!

    It's not that hard to monopolize spice trade, might be useful for building your trade empires.

    submitted by /u/Alex_King_of_Nothing
    [link] [comments]

    Ottomans invade Mamluks Before Constantinapole

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 08:09 AM PDT

    Happy Birthday!

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 05:34 AM PDT

    Today Venice celebrates the 1600th anniversary of its founding!

    submitted by /u/SexyPistacchio
    [link] [comments]

    Does Anyone Actually Use Mercenaries?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 05:28 AM PDT

    When Emperor first came out I originally quite liked the idea of the new mercenary system. Being able to hire whole armies that were region specific added flavour to the game, and having free leaders and combat bonuses was a nice add. However, after multiple campaigns, I find myself rarely using mercenaries for a number of reasons.

    • Army composition and size are ill thought. There is no way to affect army composition, which you be more or less fine, if the pre-established compositions were not so insane. They are quite reasonable at the beginning of the game, but as time goes on you end up stuck with two options. Either you recruit a ludicrously large army of pure infantry, or an only slightly more balanced, slightly smaller army.
      • These armies are almost always so large that they will put me over force limit (by a lot) at a point in the game before disbanding my regular armies gives me back the manpower. No matter how many regions your are present in, there are almost never small and cosy armies to hire that will bring you just about to force limit. Clearly there is a limited number of army size/composition templates that are valid everywhere, and they scale much too fast compared to force limit.
      • The pure infantry armies are totally useless. It would be one thing if they were manageable stacks of 15-20, but even in the very late game I rarely let stacks of over 40 walk around, let alone stacks with over 40 infantry, which would put a well balanced stacks at over 85. There is no way to know which enemy stacks are mercs or regular troops, but I am pretty confident the reason I wipe out so many large pure infantry stacks is because they're mercs. And I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are times when some armies have infantry over combat width.
      • The more balanced armies are a bad compromise. Except for the first years of artillery use, when only a couple of units per army make sense, mercenary armies never have enough artillery. It makes sense at first, because the cost is so prohibitive, never mind for mercenaries. But even when you hit unlimited ducats there is never a mercenary infantry with a full artillery back row, which means that effective fighting and sieging makes attaching regular artillery to your merc armies. Which brings me to...
    • You cannot attach troops to your mercenary armies. It's annoying enough that I cannot merge two mercenary armies together, but it sort of makes sense. What breaks the whole business is that I cannot attach my regular troops to a mercenary army. At best, I can point both stacks in the same direction, and hope there isn't an enemy army in the way that will wipe out my 6 artillery stack with my siege general that is slightly faster than the mercenaries before they catch up. Or I have to put the game on speed 2 and keep an eye on every army, constantly. Merge is probably the wrong word/mechanic, but there should be a way to make my merc infantry stack and my regular artillery stack advance at the same pace, at the very least, and hopefully to put them under a single umbrella in some way.
    • You cannot break break up mercenary armies in any way. I understand how this follows from the logic of hiring a whole army, but the ridiculous amounts of infantry make managing attrition next to impossible. Spend a few years sieging forts and all of a sudden 75% of mercenary armies are unavailable because you fired them for running out of manpower—with admin ideas. I am not even sure what happens when you try to send them overseas and don't have enough transport ships.

    Inevitably I will run out of manpower sooner or later in a game, usually sooner, in the first couple of centuries, and will use mercs to boost my number, but boy can it be a pain in the buttocks. There is also the old question of it lowering your army professionalism, and does bonus mercenary Discipline even work? There is little point to mercenaries, in the late game for that reason, and since you usually have unlimited manpower, which is a shame because unlimited money should make mercenaries more fun. I don't see the point.

    submitted by /u/DarkeningHumour
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment